[ad_1]
The first death caused by the New South Wales floods has been recorded after a man died due to his car being trapped in floodwaters in Sydney’s northwest on Wednesday.
About 6.25am, emergency services responded to reports a car was trapped in floodwaters on Cattai Ridge Road, near Hidden Valley Lane, at Glenorie.
Officers from The Hills Police Area Command arrived at the scene with SES Flood Rescue to search for the vehicle in Cattai Creek.
About 1.10pm, the vehicle was found with a man’s body inside.
He has not been formally identified.
A crime scene has been established and a report will be prepared for the information of the Coroner.
Just hours after telling reporters it was ‘simply a miracle’ there had been no deaths in the wildly destructive floods, Premier Gladys Berejiklian told Parliament the state had recorded its first fatality.
“Unfortunately we have received news of a fatality in the north west of Sydney flood waters,” Premier Gladys Berejiklian said in question time on Wednesday afternoon.
“Because it’s early stages I will allow emergency services to comment at the appropriate time to ensure arrangements have been made with next of kin.”
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton also addressed the tragedy in Federal Parliament.
”It underscores the messages everybody from the New South Wales Premier, the Prime Minister down have been issuing over recent days and that is, please, do not enter these flood waters.”
Wednesday’s death marks the first fatality from the floods, with SES completing nearly 1000 flood rescues, and about 24,000 residents being evacuated from their homes.
More to come.
[ad_2]
Source link